Thursday, July 30, 2009

DIY Wall Hanging

This past Saturday I went to a few garage sales and picked up a couple items I thought would be good craft projects. I started working on them that afternoon. I've been wanting to make a new wall hanging with a scripture verse on it. I had a blank 11 X 14 canvas and some paint already, and I found this picture frame for $1 (or maybe only $0.50, I can't remember now!).


I took the lovely picture of Gabriel out and painted the frame a sage green color. (Sorry, no picture. Just look at the picture of the finished product.)

Next, I got the canvas and painted it red.


Once the red dried, I used scrap booking letters to write out the scripture verse. (If you're wondering, yes I got the letters a little lopsided. Unfortunately, I didn't realize this until I was completely finished. I blame it on my equilibrium being off. I can't write straight, I can't cut straight, I can't walk straight, I can't drive straight... it's just life!)

Next, I painted over it with the same green as the frame. I did 2 coats to get good coverage.

Once the paint dried, I peeled off the stickers. I had to touch-up some of the letters using a toothpick because the green leaked through. I found some rub-on decals in the scrapbook section at Micheal's and rubbed those in the corners.

I bought a red mat at Micheal's and framed the picture.


Here it is hanging on the wall. It's a little Christmas-like, but I like it. What do you think?


Break down of cost:

Frame - - $1 at garage sale
Canvas - - free, already had
Paint - - free, already had
Letter stickers -- $2.99
Decals -- $2.99
Mat - - $6.99

Total: $14.97

No comments: