I've learned throughout this pregnancy that getting enough protein is SO SO SO important. I aim for 75-100 grams of protein every day. Sometimes that's really hard. Especially when I'm having a "sweet tooth" day. I've come up with a solution to my problem....peanut butter and chocolate protein bars.
1/4 cup whole almonds
1 (15.5 oz) can of chick peas, drained and rinsed
1/2 cup natural peanut butter
1/4 cup honey (or agave nectar)
1/2 chocolate chips (I prefer dark chocolate)
1-2 Tbsp. coconut oil
1. Grind almonds in a food processor until they are super fine. Dump in a mixing bowl.
2. Put drained and rinsed chick peas in food processor and pulse until pasty. Dump in mixing bowl with almonds.
3. Add peanut butter and honey into bowl. Stir all ingredients to combine.
4. Press mixture into a wax paper lined 8X8 pan.
5. Melt chocolate chips and coconut oil together in a small bowl.
6. Spread melted chocolate and coconut oil mixture over bars.
7. Refrigerate for at least an hour to let chocolate harden.
*Keep protein bars in refrigerator and cute off a chunk when want a treat!
These are a yummy, healthy way to get some protein and enjoy a little something sweet. If you close your eyes and think of rainbows and unicorns, these can even taste like those delicious Reese's peanut butter eggs.