Saturday, February 12, 2011

Mom, I'm eating my veggies

One of my goals for 2011 is to eat more fresh fruits and vegetables. I don't have any problem eating fruit. I love almost any kind of fruit. Lately, I've been having a smoothie in the morning with whatever fruit is available at the store. I've had a lot of blackberries and bananas.

Vegetables are a little harder for me to eat. I've been trying to come up with creative ways to get at least 2 servings of vegetables a day. So far this year, I've tried the following ways of eating vegetables:
  • fresh spinach in smoothies
  • carrots pureed in spaghetti sauce
  • roasted squash
  • roasted asparagus
  • carrots and celery with buffalo chicken dip
  • cauliflower in mashed potatoes
And most recently, I have tried kale. I've heard a lot about how healthy kale is and all the vitamins and nutrients it provides. So, last week I tried it 2 different ways. First, I sauteed it in olive oil, salt, and pepper. This was really good!

I read of baking kale and eating it like potato chips. I drizzled olive oil, salt and pepper on the kale and baked it. This was also really good! I used a little too much olive oil and salt, but otherwise they were quite tasty and a bit addictive!

This is a picture of my kale chips as they came out of the oven.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good for you Lydia! I have never tried kale because I thought it might be strong tasting. Maybe I should try it sometime.