Thursday, July 21, 2011

Book Review - Change of Heart

Synopsis from Jodi Picoult's official website:

"Shay Bourne - New Hampshire’s first death row prisoner in 69 years – has only one last request: to donate his heart post-execution to the sister of his victim, who is looking for a transplant. Bourne says it’s the only way he can redeem himself…but with lethal injection as his form of execution, this is medically impossible."

My thoughts:

I enjoy reading some of Jodi Picoult's work, simply because she usually has an interesting spin on a controversial subject. This was the second book of hers that I've read this year. The first being, House Rules. That being said, what I don't enjoy about her writing is the amount of foul language and some inappropriate content. Change of Heart was no exception in that regard.


Change of Heart was also an interesting read for me, because religion is a main focus. Without giving too many details away, Picoult explores the idea of how "religion"
is defined and who is the authority to say if someone is right or wrong in what they believe. I felt that she got a little blasphemous at certain times, which made me uncomfortable. Judaism, Atheism, Gnosticism, Catholicism, and mainline Christian philosophies are each addressed in the book.

Overall, Change of Heart was an interesting read. I'm still deciding whether I enjoyed it, but I'm glad I read it. There are certainly a lot of twists and turns throughout the book and the ending holds a wonderful lesson in forgiveness. But, like I said, I found myself with an uneasy feeling several times throughout the book.

Just a few of my thoughts about one of my latest reads...

2 comments:

His Mercy Endureth Forever said...

I love reading, but can't often find the time. I had heard good things about this author from other people, but it's good to get your spin on it.

Dani said...

I really liked reading "My Sister's Keeper" which she wrote. Don't really remember that much language in it, and it has a subtle religious theme running through it too.