Friday, July 08, 2011

Update on 2011 Goals

At the beginning of 2011, I wrote this post about some of my goals for the year. I thought since we're over 1/2 way through the year, I would do a check-up on my progress. Most of the goals have been on my mind continuously, but others I have forgotten about. :(

Some of my goals for 2011 are:

  • read the Bible through (using The One-Year Bible published by Tyndale) - - I am (almost) on track for this. I'm a few days behind, but I will be caught back up early next week.
  • eat more fresh fruits and vegetables - - I have been doing really well eating more fresh fruit. I could eat fruit all day! I've gone through spurts of eating vegetables. Right now, I'm not feeling it so much. I do have to say that I've been making different kinds of hummus to dip my vegetables in, which makes a huge difference!
  • send one handwritten note a week (not starting out so well on this one!) - - I have NOT held up on this goal! I've gone through spurts of writing notes each week. I AM going to do better the second 1/2 of the year!
  • call my grandparents more often - - Well, this isn't a very good goal because it's not measurable and is kind of ambiguous. That said, I have been calling my grandparents more than I ever have before, but not nearly as much as I need to.
  • run 3 miles in under 30 minutes - - I'm getting there! I can now run 2 miles in about 18:30. I keep working on this goal all the time and really feel like I will accomplish it!
  • learn to knit - - HA! I haven't even started to work on this goal. We'll see how this ends up.
  • read 50 books - - I've read 19 books, so I'm not quite on track to finish this goal. But, I do think I will finish it. I've saved some of the "easier" reads for later in the year.
  • stick to a grocery budget - - I started out really well on this goal, but the past 2 months haven't been so great.
  • intentionally save money - - Again, HA!
I also have some personal goals, which I feel like are going pretty well. One personal goal I set at the beginning of the year is to put an end to my passive aggressiveness. This is a very bad habit that I've been struggling with for a while. Toward to end of last year, I really noticed how I was letting it creep into my behavior more and more. I was hurting the most important people around me and I was just an unpleasant person to be around. I committed to rely on the Lord and His strength to overcome this behavior. I have been praying for grace to learn to control my tongue. I am so thankful for God's grace and His power in my life. With His help, I am putting this behavior behind me and learning to be a better communicator. I still have some learning to do, but I know this will be something that I need to continually be praying about and making a concerted effort to control my tongue.

No comments: