Tuesday, April 12, 2011

A Burden to Pray


My heart has been burdened to pray for the young men and women serving Christ. As I think about the church in which I grew up, the church where I am currently a member, and the several churches we attend, I am saddened by the lack of young members. I am thankful for the handful of young men and women who are convicted to be at church on Sunday morning and worship our Lord. However, when I think that the youth are the future of the Church, I feel great concern for what the Church will look like in the future.

I know that when I was young, church wasn't always the most "fun" place to go. I can remember sulking in the pew, thinking of all the things that I would rather be doing, and shooting outside as soon as the last "amen." So, I can see myself in a lot of the youth of today. I understand where they're at, yet that doesn't stop me from being concerned.
I pray that the young members will feel a burden to actively worship. I pray that the young men might feel a burden to exhort, lead singing, pray, or perhaps even preach. I pray that the young women will feel burdened to sing praises, pray silently in their pews, listen attentively, learn from the older women, and help serve the members through lunch. I pray that the youth will feel burdened to commit to a life of serving Christ, in and outside of the church building.

If the church is going to continue to grow and prosper, it is necessary for the young members to be steadfast, marry fellow believers, and raise their children in the church. I feel an especially strong burden to pray for those desiring to marry. I have many friends and family who have a heart to marry a Godly spouse, yet find the outlook discouraging. My heart aches for those who desire to find the one who will love them as Christ loves the church, who will be the spiritual leader of the home, who will support them in raising children in the nurture and admonition of the Lord, who will protect their hearts. I pray they are blessed to be a helpmeet. I pray they will hold fast to their beliefs and their desires; not wavering or settling for anything less.


When I think of the youth who profess to be followers of Christ, I pray for God put a hedge of protection around them. It was hard to stay strong in my beliefs as a teenager, but I can imagine it's even harder for teenagers today. There are so many negative influences in the world and it's getting harder and harder to steer clear. I pray the youth will feel convicted to dress and act modestly. I pray they will treat the opposite sex with respect. I pray they will guard their hearts, flee from lust, have strength to say "no." I pray they will not be afraid to be different, set apart, strong in knowing what is right and wrong. I pray they will seek God's will in relationships, choosing a college, and deciding on a career. I pray their Bibles don't sit on a shelf collecting dust; but rather be a lamp unto their feet and a light unto their path.

[source]

Do you feel burdened? Join me on your knees, begging God to have mercy and power in the lives of young men and women. Pray for strength, direction, and steadfastness. Pray for increased zeal, conviction, dedication. Pray for the Church.

1 comment:

strem said...

I am joining you. (And thank you.) <3