Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Our Garden 2011

Chris and I have been spending a lot of evenings and weekends working out in the yard. Well, Chris has been working hard at it and I just make myself look busy! :)

This is one of my favorite times of the year. I love to see new growth on the trees, flowers peeking up from the ground, and the smell of freshly worked soil.

I'm thankful for a husband who enjoys gardening and is good at it! There's nothing better than fresh vegetables grown in your own yard.

Here's a view of our garden. Are you thinking that it looks huge? It's because it IS huge! I'm not very good at estimating measurements, so I won't even try to tell you how big it is.

In this main section, we have all the seeds planted. Chris planted black-eyed peas, squash, cucumbers (2 kinds I think), pinto beans (we use as green beans), asparagus beans (super long green beans), okra, carrots, cantaloupe, and zucchini. I might be forgetting something, but not sure.

There is another smaller section off the back corner that has the plants. It can be seen better in the next picture.

This is a view from the other side of the garden. This little section has the tomato plants and peppers. We planted a couple different kind of tomatoes and 3 or 4 different kinds of peppers.


This little corner has some more pepper plants and our asparagus plants. I'm so excited about the asparagus, even though it will be several years before it's mature enough for eating.

This is my contribution to the gardening. My herb and flower bed.

I have my herbs planted along the side of the house. I planted sage, dill, rosemary, parsley, thyme, cilantro, chives, oregano, and basil. I'm hoping I can keep them alive! I also planted some morning glories in front of the trellis.

This shows the flower bed wrapping around the corner of the house. I wish I had a picture of what the bed looked like before I cleaned it up. It was a mess! There were tons of weeds, leaves, rocks, overgrown flowers, and small trees. If you look closely, you can see some of the plants I attempted to transplant. I'm not sure if they're going to make it or not! I'm going to plant some flowers in the next few days. I can't wait to see what it will look like when I have everything planted and it starts growing more!

No comments: